- Launch iMovie, click the File menu and select New Movie from the drop-down menu.
- Click the Import Media button to import the MOV video you want to convert to MP4.
- Once the file’s been imported, click on it, and click the File menu, select Share, then click File.
Convert MOV File to Mp4 on Mac
1. How to Convert MOV to MP4 Files Using iMovie
The first app that you can use to convert your MOV files to MP4 files is Apples proprietary movie editing software—iMovie. iMovie should have been installed on your Mac when you purchased it. If not, you can download it for free from the Mac App Store. iMovie currently supports macOS Big Sur and later, so make sure your system is compatible.
Once youve installed and launched iMovie, simply follow the steps below to convert the files:
The iMovie method to convert a MOV to an MP4 file is quite easy. However, it has its limitations of only converting one file at a time. If you want to convert multiple files together and save time, we recommend trying out the HandBrake method described below.
2. How to Convert MOV to MP4 Files Using HandBrake
HandBrake is a free and open-source tool that you can use to convert your file formats to high quality. The app basically functions as a video encoder and has many out-of-the-box presets that you can use for file conversions. You can it for free from the HandBrake website.
Once installed, launch HandBrake and follow the steps below to convert your MOV files to MP4:
The HandBrake method is beneficial for batch MOV to MP4 conversions on your Mac, as it allows you to import multiple files, add them to a queue and convert them together. This can save quite some time as compared to the individual file conversions using iMovie.